The history of Mestlin
The Thirty-Years-War left a destructed land behind. A reconstruction takes place only slowly. In the following years, Mecklenburg has to suffer through a number of other smaller and bigger wars. In the 19th century, Mestlin develops to a pure estate-village. Just like anywhere in Mecklenburg, many inhabitants emigrate. The situation for the rural population hardly improves till World War II.
In1652, the effects of the Thirty-Years-War on Mestlin are, just like anywhere in Mecklenburg, tremendous. Only 12 peasantries remain.
After the rabble-law from 1645, that had already been enforced, the new "Rabble - Day-Laborer - Peasant - Shepherd - Tax- and Victual-law" is being passed on November 14th, 1654. It consolidates the worst way of suppression of peasants by the aristocrats. A marriage, for example, has to be allowed by the estate owner.
In 1658, Imperial, Brandenburgian, and Polish soldiers march into Mecklenburg. Warlike incriminations, just like at the time of the Thirty-Years-War, until the peace-treaty of Olivia in May 1660.
1688 Andreas Petri becomes pastor of Mestlin / Ruest
1696 The effects of the Thirty-Years-War are still not overcome: there are only six peasantries in Ruest (house-people and people that own cottages): Hans Cords minor, Hans Cords, Köster, Soltow, Dolge and Möller.
Lootering by the war-parties: Sweden against Prussia, Denmark, Saxony, and Russia.
Mecklenburg is being seperated into Mecklenburg-Strelitz and Mecklenburg- Schwerin. One agrees on the primogenitural succession.
In1704, Mestlin has 109 inhabitants (over 14 years), Ruest has 64. In Mestlin live the house-people and people that own cottages: Hinrich Cords, Hans Hohe, Soltwedel, Hartwich Cordes, Westphal / Behrens, Kröger, Dolge, Nehls, Welzin, Joachim Cords minor. And in Ruest: Soltow, Stralendorff / Wiese, Hans Cords minor, Möller, Dolge, Soltwedel, Sülocke (Zülck), Köster, Hans Cords.
1706 Georg Brennecke becomes the pastor of Mestlin / Ruest
1717 Carl Helmut Neander becomes pastor of Mestlin / Ruest
1731 the administrator of Mestlin around this time is Langhoff
1748 Building of a first windmill in Mestlin.
Um 1748 Building of the brickyard in Mestlin.
1751 Mestlin has 179 and Ruest 106 inhabitants.
1751 the church is being built in today's shape.
1754; Johann Clamor Buchholz becomes pastor of Mestlin / Ruest
Further embodiment of serfdom, legalisation of expropriation of peasants ("Bauernlegen"). Mecklenburg has 150,000 inhabitants at this time.
Prussia occupies the neutral Saxony and fights against a coalition of Austria, Russia, France and Sweden, in the course of the war, Mecklenburg
is being occupied a number of times (first in 1757) by Prussia, furthermore money- and payment in natural produces, forced recruitments (altogether
approx. 4000 soldiers for the Prussian army) and lootings.
Pastors report 1784 / 1785
A map from 1777 shows 15 peasanties in Mestlin, additionally the estate at the church, a forestry court and two courts of the mayor.
1783; In Mestlin live: Johann Eckelberg, H. J. Garling, Ehmck, Köpcke, Hans Adam Nehls, Westphal, Hans Jacob Kröger, Jochim Nehls, Johann Kröger, Johann Karl Wiese, Friedrich Garling, Soltwedel, Friedrich Cords, H. J. Eckelberg.
1793 Johann Adam Schulz becomes pastor of Mestlin / Ruest
1803 House-people and cottage-owners in Ruest are: Schulze Hahn, Friedrich Wiese, Hans Sternberg, Michel Sternberg, Borchert, Krüger Rieck, Zülck, Stüdemann, Friedrich Cords.
Lootings, destructions by the French
entry into membership of the napoleon Rhine union in 1808, billetings, forced recruitment for the fight against Russia in 1812: 2100 people from Mecklenburg (Schwerin: 1700, Strelitz: 400). Less than a hundred survive. In 1813, both parts of Mecklenburg leave the Rhine union.
1808 - 1815 memory board for veterans in the church of Mestlin
Mecklenburg-Schwerin and Mecklenburg-Strelitz become grand-duchies and members of the German union.
1816 Martin Joachim Jakob Heydemann becomes pastor of Mestlin / Ruest
1828 the leaseholder of Mestlin (including Vimfow and Kadow), Sauerkohl leases Zidderich with Steinbeck as well
1830 Johann Heinrich Birkenstädt becomes pastor of Mestlin / Ruest
In1830, Mestlin has 12 3/4-"Hüfner", parish church, forester, windmill, "Klosterkrug", blacksmith's shop, brickyard, and school and Ruest has 9 3/4-"Hüfner", church, school and "Erbkrug".
In connection with the change from the three-field-farmstead to the effective enclosure-farmstead, the acre pieces of the farmers are divided up all over. On Johanni 1833 the 12 peasants of Mestlin are being settled over to Ruest. From the unsecure status as time-leaseholders they now became heriditary-leaseholders. From now on, Mestlin was a pure estate village, whereas Ruest was being upgraded to a big peasants' village, Ruest had 25 peasantries. At this time, the leaseholder of Mestlin is Karl Sauerkohl.
In1834, the step mill was built in Mestlin. Far visible it could still be the famous landmark of Mestlin, unfortunately it burnt down in 1945.
1835 the fair justice, that Mestlin was entitled to until then, was transferred to Ruest.
Political, social and economical problems caused the great emigration wave, at the end of the 19th century. From 1853 till 1908, almost 120,000 people emigrated from Mecklenburg.
1857 Mestlin has 240 inhabitants, court, parish church, school, forestry, mill, "Krug", blacksmith's shop, and a brickyard (Ruest: 443 inhabitants, school, blacksmith's shop, and "Erbkrug").
1861 the lease-holder Hans Dehns takes over the estate.
With the founding of the North-German Union in 1867, a new era begins for Mecklenburg. The constitution grants total freedom within the states of the North-German union, as well as in in the cross-border traffic for all union-members. The existing marriage restrictions are dropped. Mecklenburg was connected with the north-german mail- and telecommunication net and receives standardized measures and weights on the basis of the metric system, and the bank notes of the union. The military of Mecklenburg was placed under prussian command.
1869 The lease-holder of Mestlin, Hans Dehns, takes over Vimfow as well.
with participation of troups from Mecklenburg
1871 memory board in the church of Mestlin for the dead.
1872 Ludwig Heinrich Hunzinger becomes pastor of Mestlin / Ruest
1877Monastry office Dobbertin 1877 - is the inscription on this board at the front side of a building. In the 70ies of the 19th century, the houses (see picture below) of the day-laborers of the estate were built along the village street (today: Fritz-Reuter-Str., Goldberger Str.).
1894 the lease-holder of Mestlin is H. Dehns.
Important historic book
The following anecdote
from the "Mecklenburg Buch" by E. Schulz (Hinstorff Verlag, 1938) could be from this time from Mestlin:
1895 Karl Axel Walter pastor of Mestlin / Ruest
At the end of 1895 there were 270 people living in Mestlin, and 305 in Ruest.
Around the turn of the century, Hans Dehn is lease-holder of Mestlin.
Documentary book written around the turn of the century
Berckemeyer (picture on the right, 1937 in Weisin) leases the estate Mestlin. Owner is the monastry of Dobbertin. A year later, the entire property of
the monastry is being taken over by the state.
1914 - 1918 Again, there are victims among the people from Mestlin: memory board on the cemetery.
1918 Friedrich Wehner becomes pastor of Mestlin / Ruest
1926 B. Berckemeyer realizes extensive irrigation measures in Mestlin.
Property lease-holder Major a. D. Berckemeyer was the leading force in the soldier union of Mestlin. The union arranged a number of social events (soldier dances, meetings, children's fairs).
A marriage in Mestlin (Hermann Konow, cartwright, 1927)
1934 Otto Schmidt becomes pastor of Mestlin / Ruest
Book written 1986
1939 Friedrich Heise becomes pastor of Mestlin / Ruest
Mestlin has 1939 369 inhabitants
In 1939, Mecklenburg has 900,593 inhabitants